Meaning : Bone Tissue
System carrier : The Skeletal System
Action : SUPPORT (DHARANA) Asthi Dhatu is to support The bones serve to uphold all body tissues and give them Kathinya (firmness) and a strong foundation. When it is sufficient, it gives confidence, stability, confidence, security, certainty and a good stamina. Asthi comes from the tern “Stha” meaning to stand or “Endure”.
Originates from : Adipose tissues & Hips
Waste Product – Head & Body hair, Finger & Toe Nails
Cause of Asthi Dhatu Disorders –
- Excess or low consumption of Proteins,
- Lack of Minerals,
- Unbalanced Diets,
- Excessive consumption of Vata producing foods,
- Dry Foods,
- Stale foods & Leftovers,
- Hormone balancing,
- Poor Posture,
- Physical Trauma such as an accident,
- Thyroid & Parathyroid Disorders,
- Excessive or insufficient Physical Exercise,
- Irregular & intense Exercise which provokes Vata,
- Excess running or Mountain climbing,
- Lack of Support,
- Mental Trauma.
Symptoms of Asthi Dhatu Disorders –
- Bony Protuberances,
- Bone Tumors,
- Extra Teeth,
- Excessive Hair Growth,
- Hunch Back,
- Lordosis (abnormal curve of the Lumbar Spine),
- Spinal Misalignment.
- Hair Loss,
- Joint pain,
- Rheumatoid Arthritis,
- Rough Dry, Brittle & Crooked Nails,
- Shortened Height,
- Spinal Misalignment,
- Spontaneous fractures.
- Cracking & Popping of Joints,
- Degenerative Arthritis,
- Cracking Hair & Nails,
- Losing Hair on the head due to brittleness
- Severe loss of hair,
- Loss of Pubic hair,
- Repeated Fungal Infections of the nails,
- Tooth Abscess
- Swollen Joints with Effusion,
- Tuberculosis of Knee Joint (Koch’s Knee),
- Bony Deformities of the nails.
Asthi Dhatu Balancing Recommendations –
Factors that Disturb the Dhatu –
- Irregular meals,
- Avoid medication or toxins which contain Mercury & lead.
- Late nights,
- Mental stress,
Lifestyle & Dietary factors to favour balance of Dhatu –
- Adequate Calcium Diet like Sesame seeds, Broccoli, Soaked & Steamed Almonds,
- Freshly steamed/cooked Aspharagus,
- Vitamin D rich foods,
- Sit in the early morning Sun for a long time, taking deep breaths.
Treatment Herbs – Triphala, red Coral
Other Treatments – Sesame seeds, Oyster shells can help to increase Calcium in the body. Enemas with Sesame Oils, Milk, Ghee & herbs like Ashwagandha & Shatavari are excellent. These herbs can also be consumed as food supplements. Red Coral powder is also excellent for these conditions. Triphala is very good for regulating Vata in the Colon which will protect the bones.