According to English medicine, acid reflux is a long-term condition where stomach contents come back up into the esophagus resulting in either symptoms or complications. … It is due to poor closure of the lower esophageal sphincter (the junction between the stomach and the esophagus).
Ayurveda looks at it differently. It does not disagree with the above statement; rather it goes to the root cause. This is where your healing and solution lies.
Acid reflux happens because of the following reasons;
1. Eating food at irregular intervals
2. Eating hot, pungent foods
3. Consumption of oily foods and getting in stressful situations amounting to emotional eating
4. Combining water along with pungent and oily foods, especially while eating in a hurry
5. Over eating and indulging in a stressful situation
6. Eating heavy foods late and sleeping within a short while
Intensely sharp, pungent and sour foods cause acid reflux. It is not the food alone that is to blame but the environment in which it is eaten that is the culprit. Have you heard this saying “You are what you eat”
People who consume these agitating, Rajasic and Tamasic tastes in nature, are in most cases involved in stressful situations of some sort. They are aggressive Pitta constitutions. It is the heat in the emotions which causes them to find such expressions in foods too.
In most cases, such foods increase the acid content in the stomach. When you consume such foods, you are already excited or agitated. Udana Vayu, the energy responsible for expression, for upward movement of thoughts, food etc, is already active. The lower esophageal sphincter gets agitated. Over time, due to such expressions happening continuously, this sphincter fails to close.
Moreover, Apana Vayu also gets reversed putting pressure for the same reasons and this upward movement of energy puts pressure on the Diapraghm. So when such pungent foods travel upwards, they burn the walls of the esophagus and cause acid reflux.
What is the remedy;
1. Preference for such Rajasic foods should not be based on an emotional need alone. It should be preferred as a choice made in harmony.
2. Indulging in such foods should be done in a calm, happy environment where this type of food is consumed in small quantities
3. Mixing these quality of foods with sweets, curd, hard liquor and deep fried foods are surely bound to cause acid reflux.
4. Most importantly, understanding your Dosha will help you ascertain if such foods should be avoided completely for a short duration or for life. Not all pungent foods are bad but some may not suit you at all.
5.These foods, if consumed in this manner, can also cause ulcers in the stomach and intestines at a later stage. A Nadi Pariksha will reveal the damage in the internal organs and will help in indentifying the right process of healing to be adopted.
If you are suffering from acid reflux, the foods mentioned below nay be best avoided;
In Fruits – Papaya, Pineapple, Tomato
In Vegetables – Brinjal (Egg Plant), Dill
In Legumes – Soya, Urad dal
In Spices – Dalchini (Cinnamon), Red chilli, Mustard
Others – Bread with yeast, Mayonnaise, Tamarind, Salted almonds, Cashew, Walnuts, Peanuts, Alcohol, Black Tea & Coffee, Tamarind
Some home remedies are;
1. Take 2 – 3 tblspn of Aloe Vera gel + a pinch of Baking Soda.
2. Mix 4 tsps of Coriander juice to a glass of diluted fresh Buttermilk & drink after meals.